Reference to French legislation


A) Entry requirements

All Barbados and Trinidad & Tobago nationals wishing to pursue studies in France must, before leaving their country, obtain a long-stay visa (valid for more than three months) bearing the indication “Student”
on receiving their notification from the university chosen, and not before. Applicants (or the person ensuring their financial support) must be able to prove that they will receive the equivalent of TT$7 000, minimum, for the first month in France and a minimum of TT$3 500 per month thereafter. This is to ensure that sufficient funding is available to meet basic expenses in France, such as lodging, transportation and meals, as there is no funding available from the French authorities for first and second year university. The airfare must also be provided.

Application must be made to the Consular section of the French Embassy. This section can also provide the detailed requirements for visa applications.

The long-stay visa is mandatory in order to obtain a temporary residence permit (carte de séjour temporaire).
It is impossible to regularise your status once in France if you are only holding a short-term (tourist) visa.

B) Residence requirements

1) Any Barbados/ T&T national arriving in France for a study stay of over 3 months must apply for a residence permit (carte de séjour). Upon arrival you must report to one of the following, according to your address in France:
- Paris: foreigner reception centres (centres de réception des étrangers)
- Hauts de Seine, Seine-Saint-Denis and Val de Marne Departments: The Police Headquarters (Préfecture) for the area.
- In the Provinces: the police station or the Town Hall.

2) As a general rule, the student must show, in addition to the abovementioned long-stay student visa affixed on his/ her passport by the French Consulate :
- a temporary enrolment certificate from an establishment of higher education
- medical certificate
- proof of financial resources
- proof of social security cover (certificate of subscription to social security or private insurance)
- proof of address
- 3 ID photos

All relevant information can be provided by the Consular section of the French Embassy.

3) Legislation on temporary employment

Foreign students holding a long-stay visa and not receiving a scholarship may obtain the right to work, under certain conditions which will be specified by the foreign labour service at the Department administering Work and Employment (Direction Départementale du Travail et de l’Emploi, DDTE). Foreign students may only work a maximum of 19 ½ hours per week or 800 hours per year as compatible with their studies and the employment situation in France.


Reception of French and non-French students in the universities and other establishments answerable to the MENESR is governed by Decree # 71-376 of 13th May 1971 modified by Decrees # 81-1221 of 31st December 1981 and # 88-1145 of 21st December 1988, and by Act # 84-52 of 26th January 1984.

Holders of non-French degrees or other qualifications may request the validation of their studies, according to the clauses in Decree #85-906 of 23rd August 1985.

Provisions relating to postgraduate studies appear in the Departmental Order dated 30th March 1992.

Dernière modification : 19/09/2006

top of the page